Sydney, NSW 10th June, 2015
I am happy to know that Australian Foreign Affairs Minister, Julie Bishop, has appointed Barry O’Farrell, former Premier of NSW, as the Deputy Chairman of Australia-India Council (AIC) Board, which operates under Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
AIC details: http://dfat.gov.au/people-to-people/foundations-councils-institutes/australia-india-council/Pages/australia-india-council.aspx
AIC’s tasks include:
- raise awareness of Australia in India, and of India in Australia in a way that encourages further growth in relations between the two countries, including in the trade and investment relationship
- promote exchange and collaboration between Australian and Indian organisations in fields of relevance to the bilateral strategic partnership
- deliver high quality programs that demonstrate Australia’s economic credentials and technical excellence to influential audiences in India
- seek community involvement in, and private sector support for, the Council’s diplomacy efforts including by encouraging corporate investment in collaborations that advance Australia India relations
- publicise the Council’s activities as a means of encouraging broad support for the Council’s role and the bilateral relationship
AIC Board is currently chaired by Ashok Jacob (Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of Ellerston Capita, and Director of Crown Ltd). Other members of AIC include Prof Robyn Batterham (University of Melbourne), Mr Michael Kasprowicz (Former Test Cricketer), Neema Premji (Director of Premji Board Consultancy and Management Services), Payal Mahendroo (Australia India Youth Dialogue) and Sheba Nandkeolyar (AIBC).
Barry retired from NSW Parliament at the March 2015 election for NSW Parliament, after been an MP since 1995 and NSW Premier between 2011-2014. He led annual Trade delegations to India since 2011 and has significant connections in India and Indian community in NSW. He expertise in Australia India matters is second to none.
Let us hope that relations (Political and Trade) between Australia and India pick up speed and reach a new height, with Barry’s joining of AIC Board.
Dr Yadu Singh
Reblogged this on sheeks99.
No problems 🙂